Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy 10th Birthday Colin!


March 4, 2000 - Ryan and I awoke, went through our Saturday morning routine of cooking breakfast and reading the paper, not realizing that this would be the last time we would be doing that for awhile. Our goal for that day was to pack a bag for the hospital in anticipation of Colin's arrival. My due date was March 14, ten days away. We ventured out to the mall. I remember two things, one, I was a little miffed with Ryan because I wanted A chicken nugget, not an entire pack, just one. That meant that he would have to eat the rest and he didn't want any so we ended up not purchasing a pack - crazy the things one remembers, right? Two, we went to look for a gown for me to wear in the hospital. After looking for the perfect one and not being able to find it, we decided to leave. I told Ryan, "It's ok, I can come back tomorrow after church and get a gown. I need to get a few other things too." So, we left. No nugget, no gown, no loot for the hospital bag. That evening we had what was to be our last baby shower in Colin's honor. We mingled, I ate the best homemade pizza ever and all was well until we were asked to be seated so that the attendees could pray for us. There was a very large group of people there, our entire Sunday school class and then some. We all sat in this huge circle and the praying began. And it went on. And on. And on. And I desperately needed to go to the bathroom. Desperately. I just remember thinking, "Surely this is the last person who is going to pray for us. Surely they will understand if I, the pregnant lady, needs to get up mid-prayer to go to the little girls room. Surely, surely, surely." And all the while, the praying continued and Colin kicked and kicked and kicked. I managed to make it through the praying and then made a mad dash for the bathroom. Ahhhhhh, that was so much better. About an hour later, as we were packing our gifts up to leave, I had this very strange, piercing pain in my lower abdomen. I sat down for a moment and it mysteriously went away. I went to hug a few friends as we were leaving and the pain came again. I told Ryan, "Something is not right." We got into our car and he said, "What do you mean something is not right?" Well, I wasn't sure what I meant but I did know that I was having these pains. Then, I believe, my water broke. I was in denial that I could possibly be experiencing labor. 48 hours earlier, I had seen my doctor who had told me to begin walking because there wasn't going to be a baby anytime soon. Plus, I just knew I would go past my due date, not sure why I thought this but I did. So, I kept telling Ryan that I was most certain that I was experiencing an uncontrollable bladder as this is common in pregnancies and Colin had been so wild earlier, surely he kicked me in the wrong place or something. All the while, Ryan was timing these mysterious pains that kept occurring. We got home, called the doctor who gave us two options, drink water and call back OR come to the hospital. I believe at this point Ryan suspected labor. I, however, suspected nothing, it wasn't time, I wasn't prepared. Without unpacking the gifts, and without a bag prepared, we drove the longest 30 minute drive ever to the hospital. As we left, I remember Ryan said, "I have your pillow and a toothbrush. You will thank me for these later." And I kept thinking, "No way, we will be in and out of triage in no time. After all, we have lunch plans at one of my favorite restaurants tomorrow with some of our favorite friends. It just wasn't birthing time." Four hours later, in the wee hours of Sunday, March 5, we met our firstborn son, Colin, for the very first time. Ten years ago.
March 5, 2010 - Pryce woke up first, not normal at all. He woke Colin up and said to him, "Mom said that because it is your birthday we can watch tv, lets go." Colin looked at the clock and said, "But Pryce, it is only 5:30am!" to which Pryce replied, "Well, then, lets talk." And so they did. I love their relationship. Later Colin came down as I was decorating to inform me that P did not feel so well. High fever, not good. With a little Motrin intervention, the day went on as planned. Out to lunch with friends, ice cream sundaes, laser tag, Boyscout banquet, friends over for the night, cake, phone calls, presents, emails, texts, lots and lots of celebrating. Colin spent his 10th birthday much like he did his first day of life, he just simply took it all in.....and he (and his parents) got very little sleep! The one downfall that I have seen to him turning ten is that he informed me earlier in the week that he can no longer give hugs in public. So as to not upset me entirely, he came up with a different means of showing his affection in a "cool" way. Now, instead of me hugging him goodbye, he insists that we do "knuckles".....but he will still allow hugs within the home :)
Colin is a sucker for commercials. If it is declared "the best," then he tries hard to convince me to buy it. His most recent ploy has been to sell me on buying Charmin. I haven't taken the bait but I did think it would make for the most perfect gag gift!
There were two gatherings in Colin's honor. One with friends from his co-op class, one with friends from his old school. Laser tag with co-op friends, sleepover with old school friends.
The next morning, this was the scene in our living room at 8:00 AM :) All geared up and ready for combat, they took off outside and did not return for 2 hours!

No comments: