Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Reflections

Girls are no longer easy to adopt from China.  And there are far more little boys available for adoption in China than there are little girls.  The adoption of healthy baby girls from China, which used to be a fast process, is non-existent.  All children adopted from China have some sort of identified medical need.  

We are traveling with a single mom, her new 7 year old son, and her mother.  The mother smiled a huge smile one day and said to me, “I am so proud of her.  She has been preparing for this (motherhood) for a long time.”  This is, perhaps, one of the kindest remarks I have ever heard and I pray that I remember to tell my children just how proud I am of them as they accomplish their dreams in life.  It is so easy to get caught up in what we want our children to do in life or to worry about how their decisions will effect their futures that we forget to be in the moment and just be proud of who they are and where their lives/life experiences have taken them.  

Pizza every.single.night of a two week trip does actually get old.  

Coke Zero in China is awful.  

Several Chinese people working in the hotels or in a business that accommodates westerners often will give themselves an English name.  Some are very common - Grace, David - and then there are the ones that are just hilarious - one guy named “Fun” and another named “Crazy”…..

We have met some amazing families during our stay in China.  Families who are adopting for the first time - I love them because I love seeing and being reassured that there are still families seeking to adopt.  We have met families who are back for their fourth and fifth children, children who have pretty significant needs but are so worthy of love and the commitment of a family.  We have met families who are adopting aging out children, children that in less than a year would be forced to go to work at the age of 14.  Families are fabulous yet seeing these brave children is the real blessing.  These children, big and small, are some of the most resilient, strong, and deserving kiddos one will ever meet.  These are children who, more likely than not, have known love, they have been cared for BUT they have never known the true love of a family.  It is sad.  The children we have met this week are a mere fraction of the children who wait.  I was just told during this trip that an agency met with an orphanage recently that didn’t even know international adoption existed.  Imagine.  There are children, healthy children, who wait because of a lack of knowledge from the caretaker.  Blows my mind.  

I absolutely love hearing the Chinese language being spoken.  And it is even more joyful to hear a 7 year old little boy talk in his native tongue, huge smile on his face, and just know that he is loving his new life.

Being sick in China is scary.  Being sick in China, far away from medical care will take you into panic mode.  

The smells in China are quite breathtaking and unforgettable.

My parents have been amazing.  Pretty sure that they now know the good, the better and the not so good about the four older kiddos at home.  I am thankful for their willingness to keep our children at home and for the time that they have had to spend with them. 

The traffic in China puts Atlanta to shame.  The driving in China never disappoints.  Ryan made the comment that he just loves how anything can technically be a lane in China - sidewalks included!

There are moments when I do feel guilty that I can’t do more for these children.  I want them to all know the love of a family.

Is this our last adoption?  We are constantly asked this question by friends, family, and multiple times here in China.  Honestly, we have given up answering this question.  My children will tell you that we said MK was our last adoption.  And then Maddox was the last.  And then Maryn.  And now there is Chapman.  Truth?  We feel so blessed and honored to be given the privilege of parenting six children, bios and adopted.  Are we full?  Yes!  We feel like we are all good with our crew!  But one never knows for sure until God closes those doors or begins to ask other things of you…..we thought He was done but obviously He wasn’t.  And we are thankful for His many blessings!  

Snickers are universal.


Hong Kong is a beautiful city but it is where I feared for my life most in a driving situation.  I am pretty sure all four wheels were not on the ground when we arrived at our hotel for the night.  And we did not have seatbelts on. Then, we were greeted by the nicest little man who reminded me most of the wedding planner on Father of the Bride.  Absolutely the laugh I needed after the cab ride I had just experienced.  

Neighbors and friends are the best.  My village has been along side my parents for the past two weeks delivering meals, chauffeuring my children to and fro, and just entertaining them during the time that we have been away.  So very thankful for each of them!

No comments: