Sunday, September 4, 2016

Her Name

Chapman is named after my maternal grandfather.  I love a good family name and Chapman has always been one of my favorites!  It is very fitting to her for many reasons....first one being that on day one I noticed she responded when we called her name.  The reason?  Chapman sounds very much like her nickname at the orphanage, ChenChen.  Tonight as we were having dinner, I was reminded of the gifts that God gives us in some of the most subtle ways.  Chapman is a little jokester.  Just like my Grandaddy.  She loves a good game.  As I played with her and tickled her and she laughed, it struck me.....one of my favorite games to play with my Grandaddy growing up involved my back.  He would lay me across his lap and take his knuckle and climb my spine....if you do this, you are sure to laugh at some point!  We would see just how long we could take it before cracking up!  And my sweet Chapman, her need is in her back - meningocele.  Yet, she giggles and reminds me with every smile to remember this man who was such a large part of my life growing up.

No comments: