Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Children
We were not allowed to photograph the children at all during our trip until the last day when we were given the ok to take pics of the children who were matched or the children who were waiting....essentially, we could photograph the "six."
 This made me so sad for many reasons.  One, of course, was that I wanted pics of children for advocating purposes.  Two, I wanted pics so I could remember those faces of the children who etched their way into our hearts during our week with them.
So, I "accidentally" took a photo....or two.
Our "Waldo"....he is above.  He wore that shirt from day one.  I knew the mandarin word for airplane so I said it to him on day one and he was a bit impressed:)  Nevermind that I said it with a bit of an accent!  
"Waldo" gained his name early on in our week because every where we went, he seemed to pop up....sometimes he even beat us to our destination!  He was simply everywhere.  Everyday when we arrived, he was the first to greet us.  Everyday when we left, his was the last hand we saw waving as we drove off.  When we rested, he joined us...only he didn't rest.  Instead, he entertained Pryce with building or karate or something in between.  He was so smart and creative.  And he seemed happy enough.  And he seemed to be the assistant at the orphanage....he didn't seem to have many rules that he had to follow like the others.  
 This little one stole my heart.  She is beautiful!  I was sure to hold her each day.  And she would occasionally grin.  The staff seemed to dote on her a bit.  Or at least thought she was cute.  
 And this sweet girl.  She was Pryce's girl from the first day.  She adored him and the feeling was mutual.  I worried a few days prior to going...I worried because I wasn't sure I had prepared Pryce fully for what we would encounter health wise with the children in the orphanage.  The first morning, Pryce took off with Mrs. Duncan and when I saw him two hours later, he was beaming from ear to ear and could not wait for me to meet his girl!  She was beaming too.  And giggling.  I would suppose she has cerebal palsy or institutional autism or something of the like.  She was very interactive with P but when he left her side, she would do random noises or her eyes would wander into space....but, man, she was special.  And Pryce saw that in her too and, for that, I am so thankful!  

As for the other children, their faces will not be soon forgotten.  

No comments: