Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tonight our power went out.
C was at basketball practice. P was supposed to be at a baseball game. MK was SICK. And Maddox was exhausted after a long day of play.
I curled up in the bed with Maddox and held her little body against mine while she settled in for a good night's rest. As I lay there, it occurred to me.....just seven short months ago, on this day, our baby girl was given to us. She was stiff as a board, screaming and scared to death. Now, seven months later, she is nestled in my arms asleep. Seven months.
I was subtly reminded earlier in the day just how short seven months really is in comparison to the nineteen that she spent in China. We began occupational therapy today for Maddox. The therapist was working with her and asked me if Maddox was walking when we got her. I responded yes. She went on to say, "Yes, I am thinking she never crawled. Have you ever seen her crawl?" I was a bit dumbfounded as I sat back and thought, "Geez, what parent doesn't know if their child ever crawled or not?!!!" But, no, I don't recall Maddox crawling. I was most concerned about walking and she could do that.
Seven months home. The first nineteen months of her life we know little about but I can tell you detail for detail on her seven months home.

No comments: