Monday, January 10, 2011

Silent Tears

Again, I mention, I am not a huge, profound reader. I read to my children and thoroughly enjoyed our mornings recently reading Anne Of Green Gables. I am learning in my older years to appreciate the joys that a book can bring. We read together everyday, morning and night, and they begin their school day reading independently. I decided that part of their reading journey was to see me reading as well, not only hearing me read to them but actually seeing me, book in hand, enjoying a book. For Christmas, Ryan gave me the book Silent Tears, A Journey Of Hope In A Chinese Orphanage. I told Ryan last night that everyone, grandparents, parents, friends, should read this book. If you or your family has been a part of an adoption from China, it is a must read. If you wish to help orphans, it is a must read. Kay Bratt, the author, went to live in China with her husband who was transferred there on business. While in China, she volunteered in an orphanage and she kept a diary which later became her book. This book certainly not only opened my eyes to what my daughter did or could have endured while in the orphan care system, but also gives a vivid description of why these practices occur. Coming from a mommy with two little girls who very well could have had a very different life, this is one book that I will not be forgetting anytime soon.

No comments: