Friday, July 16, 2010

Paperwork

This post is for my own personal venting. We are in the beginning stage of our second adoption. At this time during MK's adoption, I remember being so excited. I remember feeling like I was on a mission and I loved having something to do that would bring us closer to our daughter. This time around, not so much. It has been one frustrating detail after another. Really. I have talked with more government officials, listened to more voice recordings, visited more FedEx/US post offices, sent more faxes and emails this time around than I would have ever dreamed of doing during MK's adoption. Just yesterday, as we were walking into the movie theatre, my phone rings. Low and behold it is a TX number....the Chinese Consulate's office no doubt. Very helpful people and they kindly let me know that our Secretary of State's office had not certified the right name so they are going to send us our document back.....OH.MY.WORD. That was the straw. It broke.
This is all of the little stuff. This is all of the little stuff that I LOVED during the process with MK. I looked forward to this part when we began adoption number 2. Really. Now, not so much. Now I am really looking forward to the wait....the part where we sit by our phone hoping it will ring with news of our new daughter. It is funny though, the emotions of adoption. As much as I anticipate moving forward with our adoption, as much as I look forward to our paperwork being out of our hands and in China, I also don't want it to end. I do truly feel as though this will be our final adoption, our final addition to our family. With that in mind, when I do feel overwhelmed and frustrated by the process, I try to remember and savor this time in our lives. Even with its obstacles, adoption is a wonderful experience. I have one beautiful little girl to remind me of that. And that beautiful little girl will sit with me and view the faces of those children who wait for their families to hold them. And that beautiful little girl will tell me, "Momma, make her picture big. I want to see her. Is she our baby? Can we go get her now?" That beautiful little girl is my reminder to focus on the big stuff.

1 comment:

M said...

I definitely found myself banging my head against the wall more this time around. :) I've also been completely impatient about the wait. I hope you have better luck with that than I. Can't wait to hear that you guys are DTC!