Saturday, May 16, 2009

Admiring C


And last but not least, Colin in all of his baseball glory! Five months ago I went to sign Pryce up for baseball. Pryce has always had a liking for the sport and has quite the natural talent for it. Colin, however, has been involved in other sports and has succeeded in those so I never once really considered baseball as a game he would like to play. Plus, C played t-ball and hasn't played the game since....THREE years and those three years are like dog years in our county's baseball program as it is very, very competitive. Imagine my surprise when C announced that baseball was, in fact, something he would like to take a chance on. As a parent, I wanted him to do a sport that I knew he would and could excel in. However, he talked me into it and 5 months later I find myself sitting at each of his games and admiring my son. Every practice he takes to heart. Every game he is there with bells on and with an attitude to please his coach. C comes home from baseball and announces his plans for next season, shouting out how much he loves baseball. After today's game, Colin was given the "game" ball. C made a bunt that allowed his team to advance and score even though he was deemed out during the play. Ryan and I asked him after the game how he was feeling. In Colin fashion, he simply stated that he was so nervous (we could not tell) because he watched his coach give him the sign to bunt the ball and then he panicked.....he has never hit a bunt before during a game. C said that he "fought with himself" as he made the decision to think positive and attempt to do what his coach was asking. C bunted beautifully and his team went on to win the game! I admire C because he could so easily get discouraged, he could so easily give up, he could so easily say "I can't do that", but he doesn't. Amazing what one can learn from a 9 year old child....

No comments: