Monday, April 6, 2009

Socks


Honestly, my boys do not voice their opinions much when it comes to clothing. I buy, they wear and usually that is that. Now, when I shop for them, I tend to steer clear of the super heroes shirts or what could be labeled the "fun clothes" for children their ages. I am classic, polos, khakis, and jeans....along with boring white socks. So on Friday, P was given what he felt to be a treasure from a friend at school.....frog socks. Yep, these socks are white with green frogs on top...the frogs have golden crowns and the elasticy part at the top is a bright green. They are "fun". P could not wait to put them on. His smile stretched from ear to ear as he modeled them for everyone, including Ryan, at our house. Ryan was less than impressed. They are not white socks like boys wear, they are "fun". Ryan asked Pryce to take them off and put on the boring white socks for baseball practice. P came to me looking so sad, his chin trembling, his head hanging and he quietly said, "daddy won't let me wear my frog socks that my friend gave me. I love them." What is a mom to do? I went to bat for him, of course. Ryan and I had a discussion. I think my words to Ryan were something to the effect that P was so excited about his new socks, he was so PROUD of them and no matter the look, we should support his liking....he is, after all, only 6. Now, if you are still reading this, follow along, this is where Ryan's subtle humor comes into play :) Well, P wore the socks with baseball cleats no doubt. After practice and time outside, we had the children rest for what was supposed to be an hour. About 15 minutes into rest time, P came to me once again, his lips trembling, big alligator tears streaming down his cheeks and he was holding one of the beloved frog socks. He sobbed as he told me how he felt an itch and when he scratched the high quality frog socks, a hole appeared. Oh jeez! These socks! He was so sad. He wasn't being bratty, he was genuinely grieving over these SOCKS! So, me being the one who can't stand sadness, jumped up and we left on our journey to find yet another pair of frog socks, I needed to go the store anyway. We arrive at the store. No frog socks. But, wait, there are some gorgeous, light blue socks with basketballs and baseballs and footballs and the elasticy thing at the top is a darker blue...really nice. P wanted them. Great, all was well. So, this all happened on Saturday. Sunday morning comes. Everyone is in the car dressed and ready for church. I go to close the van door and as it is sliding slowing along the track, I get a glimpse of these blue socks with baseballs, footballs and basketballs staring brightly back at me. The door closes. I look at Ryan. He smiles back at me knowing what I am about to say and he says, "B, you said we should support his liking of the socks. P is so proud of them, and, after all, he is only 6!" So off to church we went, bright blue socks and all. P was so happy.

No comments: