Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Beginning of the End

After almost exactly three years of hashing through paperwork, getting fingerprinted over and over, and various other things that needed to be done for our adoption, we are nearing the end. Last night we had our very last home visit with our social worker. Come March 17, we are DONE! Of course, that is, if we passed the final inspection. You see, Colin and Pryce started off their morning questioning me on what the social worker was going to ask them....I had no idea was my response. So Pryce said, "is he going to ask about how many times she has to sit in timeout?"....hmmmm. Being that timeouts just don't sound encouraging and I hated to make a bad final impression during our visit, I told them to focus on her good qualities like her laughter and her liking to play outside and then Pryce chimes in "and we can tell him how she burps on purpose when we ask her to?" Oh my, was I concerned. Well, as it turns out, all went well....or for the most part. The beginning was the part I hope he concentrates on when writing our final report, the part where MK and Pryce colored happily at the kitchen table together, laughing at each other and graciously exchanging crayons, and the part where Colin was busy studying for a science test in another room, all was well, everyone was happy and engaged....UNTIL, Colin finished his homework, Pryce was done coloring and MK decided she would like to disobey mommy by peeling off the crayon paper (a minor pet peave of mine, how do you know what the exact color is without the wrapper?). I very calmly took all crayons from MK and brought her into the living room to chat with the SW while the boys chose to play the computer. Peace again. Amongst all of the toys that are laid out in our living room for her to play with, she finds the gun that Pryce purchased over the weekend complete with a holster. As if that wasn't enough, MK insisted that the holster be attached to her so she could hoist the gun out of the container and say "pew, pew".....the SW deemed her a little Annie Oakley and called it a night. We are just thankful that he has a sense of humor!

2 comments:

Twice Nice said...

I feel your pain! When DD#1 was little she loved to play with the neighbor boy's guns so we finally caved and bought her some "six-shooters", but I made her wear the sheriff's star. It made me feel better! Deb in Omaha

Leslie said...

Too funny! We have our final report in May. My oldest is a talker and "tells it all" so I might better start coaching her now.