Friday, August 15, 2008

Lunch

Pryce asked me on the first day of school if I would come eat lunch with him. In fact, he said it in more of a command way than a question way. I told him that I thought Friday would be a good day for us to do lunch. So, today being Friday, I went to visit the boys at school for lunch. Now, my first experience having lunch with a kindergarten class was three years ago with Colin. I will never forget the little girl who purchased a hot dog and then piled THREE packages of mayonaise (yuck!) on top of the meat....what is worse, is that then she carefully took baked (not fried) Cheetos and placed them very ornately on top of the mayo....what is worse than that is that she actually ate the entire creation.....aggghhhh, it really still makes my whole body cringe! So, today was a much different yet new experience. Today there was not a child to gross me out with their food sitting in front of me. Instead, I talked with Pryce about his day. It was quite a nice experience. The one thing I realized, though, is that the kindergartners have a LONG way to go. They are like little newborns who have just entered the world. They need someone to sit them in their seats, they need help with their food and they need some guidance in the rule department. I took note of all of the children getting out of their seats to talk to each other but what really got my attention was when Pryce proceeded to yell over two tables to his friend Matthew. I quickly said "Pryce, you can't do that". His response was "sure we can, we don't get in trouble, it is ok." I told the parapro on my way out that the word on the street was that yelling was more than ok in the lunchroom. Her response was a long sigh. Then I joined Colin for lunch. He, as well as his friends, welcomed MK and me with open arms. I had a good time chatting with all of them. I dread the day that Colin says no to me having lunch with him at school. Even then, I will most likely still go, sit at another table and just wave kindly to him as he ignores me.

On another note, I went to orientation at Mason-Kate's preschool last night. On Tuesday of next week she will begin a Mother's Day Out program. She will go two days a week. Among other things, I was informed that she would need to bring a lunchbox. Man, we don't have any pink ones just lying around our house so MK and I went to find just the right one for her. I had a little cute monogrammed one in mind but as we went down an aisle looking for other school supplies, she started saying "mama, mama, mama"....I looked down at her and she was pointing to a Disney princess lunchbox. I gave it to her. She immediately started naming all of the body parts on each princess, the "eye" being her favorite one to point out. She was hugging it and holding on tightly to it as we continued to shop. So, wouldn't you know, the princess lunchbox is the one that made it to our house.


My favorite quotes this week:

* After telling me that this one child had brought several toys to class, Colin says "You know mom, that kid just doesn't have a brain. It IS third grade, yuh know, and we don't have time for toys"....his tone was set to the "duh" style.

* Pryce's response to my asking him to eat his breakfast "well, mom, we do get a snack at 10:00 and if I eat my breakfast I probably won't be hungry for my snack".....hmmmmm.




2 comments:

Donna said...

Too funny as Shelby picked out the same one! I even bought a pink little thermos for her :) Girls are so much fun!!

Houston said...

What a great post! I love having lunch with C at school, the conversations the kids have are hilarious! It sounds like MK is doing so well and is such a happy little girl.
Hugs to you all.
Houston