Thursday, March 13, 2008

Squatty Potty

I just have to make one post on the infamous "squatty potty"....I had my first encounter this evening at the acrobat show. In the US, women wait patiently in a long line for a bathroom. Well, here in China, there is no line for the bathroom....you pretty much choose which one you want to use and push everyone and anyone out of your way to get to it as quickly as possible. As I was standing in the "line" I noticed two things....one, everyone was prepared with their "tissues" and two, inside the stalls were squatty potties. I panicked. I turned to a Chinese girl beside me who was prepared and asked to borrow a tissue....thankfully she spoke English...either that or she saw the terror in my eyes....then I focused on getting in the bathroom. All in all, it was an experience....one that I knew I would have to face but one that no one can truly identify with until they themselves have been forced to use the squatty potty.

Now, with other events....we chose to do the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner tonight. We met the Mohr family in the lobby, we hailed a taxi, drove about 15 minutes, took pictures out front with the Hard Rock sign, went inside to eat and guess what? THEY ARE CLOSED FOR RENOVATIONS! Incredible. So, we went back to McDonalds. Those of you who know me well, know that I do not do McDs much, but here it has proven to be gold. After dinner we went to an amazing acrobat show...I wish that we had taken our camera to take pix....the most amazing thing was watching 12 girls all ride one bicycle....the boys liked all of the performers flipping and flying around....they have been practicing their own version of the show on our beds since we got back to our room....I will let you know how that works out for us.


Colin and Zach from Nebraska at the Hard Rock Beijing....Pryce was busy taking in the rest of the city...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

WHAT?? No pics of Ryan squatting at the squatty potty???

Anonymous said...

I see our little buddy Zack! This is Robin from Nebraska, a friend of the Mohr's. I am so excited for you all and am enjoying your blog. Have fun

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth and Ryan and boys! Just wanted you to know that the Krufts are praying for you and totally enjoying your blog/pics! I just smile everytime I read it, and of course, especially as I re-lived the trauma of the squatty potty! Can't wait to see the pics from Gotcha Day, with love, corrie and all

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo jealous!!!! Only 3 more days until you have Mason-Kate - yeah!!!! We are so enjoying following your journey!

Love, Allison, Bryan, Bailey, Camden and Mia

Kellie said...

Thank goodness she had a square to spare. I hope i am doing the blog thing right. I was so thankful you all arrived safely and really have enjoyed the updates. I can't wait to hear about the first time you see MK. Love you, Kellie