Friday, April 3, 2015

My Second Home


In the eastern part of Asia lies an amazing country.  This country, which I have three sisters from, is widely known as China.  Mason-Kate, who is eight years old, is from Chongqing, China.  Maddox, at five years of age, is from Guizhou, China.  Last year, when June rolled around, my parents and two sisters traveled to Guangdong, China, to bring home my third little sister, Maryn. (However, my brother, Colin, and I zoomed over to Papillion, Nebraska to visit some friends.)  This country needs help such as Christianity soon.  This super country acts as part of me.

Mason-Kate, who is the oldest of the three, was happily adopted in 2008 when I was five years old.  We did not know what to expect, but God showed us the path.  During our time in China, we met some great friends.  Thankfully, their daughter stayed in the same orphanage as Mason-Kate.  As friends should do, we still keep in touch today, and there is a possibility they might move to Augusta.  We keep our fingers crossed!  The eight year old can be a challenge, but although adopted, she is still our Mason-Kate.   

Maddox, who stands in the middle, joined our family in 2011 when I was eight.  Depressingly, her orphanage is located in the poorest province in China, Guizhou.  Like last time, we eagerly toured around China with a mom from New York.  On pick-up day, Maddox cried non-stop until we were on the way to the hotel.  She fell asleep.  When she woke up, we gave her a bath, which she did not care for.  Maddox, who acts very wild for a five year old, remains loved by everyone.

In June of last year, my family, who again trekked to China for the third time, left me and my brother, Colin, behind.  Since we had already experienced the things my parents and sisters were to experience, my brother and I aimlessly hurried over to our great friends in Papillion, Nebraska.  We had so much fun!  In November of this year, my mom and I will fly to Shaanxi, China, on a mission trip to help out an orphanage.  I am asking you to pray for two reasons.  First off, pray that my mom and I have a safe trip, and that we will spread the Gospel to these children.  Secondly, pray because I am the only kid and the only male on this trip!  I hope this third trip to China will not only impact my life, but these orphans as well.

China is an awesome country.  When we traveled to adopt Mason-Kate, God kept us in His hands, and we made it through.  Including Maddox, on the other hand was easier because we all knew what to expect.  God, who played a huge role in all three adoptions, kept us safe and gladly answered plenty of prayers.  China is a superior country and my second home!

By Pryce Drafts
Age 12
Institute for Excellence in Writing

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

What a terrific piece of writing, Pryce! I have enjoyed following your family's journey ever since meeting you in Kindergarten at First Baptist. Please write again after your trip; it will be great to hear about how God uses you and your Mom for His glory, and equally wonderful to offer praise along with you for answered prayers. Mrs. M (Kimberly McGuire)