Saturday, March 17, 2012

Gotcha Day FOUR

Four years and three months ago, we received one of our most precious gifts, an unexpected phone call. I believe the only words I heard were, "....10 month old baby girl....she needs a family." Hours later - really it was only like ONE hour but felt like MANY more - we saw Mason-Kate's face for the very first time. Those eyes. And those little precious lips. I still get weak at the site of this picture.
On March 17, 2008, we held our Mason-Kate for the very first time. We heard her first cry before we even saw her. And her little bright red, rosy cheeks will forever be etched in my mind.
Four years later and the baby girl that we met in China is still very much the little girl that we are blessed to call our daughter today. She is "spicy" as the Chinese would say. She has spunk. She doesn't go down without a fight. Her little heart is tender. Her hugs are forever. Her laugh is contagious. She has this determination about her that I envy - she will go far in life, no doubt.
This particular year has brought a few more questions about her life in China. And as she grows, I realize more and more the importance of educating her on adoption and equipping her with as much age appropriate knowledge possible about her life.
Early in the week, MK asked to watch her Gotcha Day video. She said, "I want to know my story - I think I forgot." Four years ago, our lives were touched, our eyes were opened to a beautiful life and today we celebrate!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Happy Gotcha Days to both of the Drafts girls-both so special to our family. I am grateful to your family for the gift of our Junie, which never would have been had we not met, and been so captivated by, precious Mason Kate! I still remember waking up every morning while you were in China and rushing to my computer to check on your family. Can't belive it's been four years! Happy Day!