Sunday, April 18, 2010

Different

At church this morning something so small hit me in the largest way. Ryan and I began volunteering in MK's Sunday School class today. The children were all sitting at a table when one little girl asked, "Hey, what's your name?" We introduced ourselves. Then, the lead teacher said, "Mr. Ryan and Ms. Beth are Mason-Kate's parents." Simple statement, one that I do not think twice about on any given day. Today was different. I thought twice. Why? Simply because here we were surrounded by 3 and 4 year old children who will say whatever is on their little mind at any given time. And for one small moment I panicked because I realized that this is the age that little ones notice differences. Differences don't matter so much at this age but they are noticed. And I quickly began to wonder what if one little one stands up and points out the obvious to MK. What if one child notices and says, "She doesn't look like you. You don't look like her. You can't be her parents." I am all about a plan. I am all about thinking ahead and having a plan, I like to be prepared for everything. I wasn't prepared today. I wasn't and I still am not prepared for what to say to the child that asks the inevitable. I want desperately to have just the right words and I will figure them out, but in the meantime, I am going to embrace the innocence.

1 comment:

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

Hey Beth -- just so you know, Alaina is in Kindergarten (again, since we just got her last Jan 09) and 7 years old and we have never had one of her peers ask that question -- either at her school or at church. So, you have a while most likely until they really put 2 and 2 togeher!!! Plenty of time to plan your reply!