Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Taking a Chance

We are going to take a chance. It will not be the first and it surely will not be the last chance that our family takes. I took a chance with Ryan....I was originally supposed to date his best friend (set up on blind date), decided to take a chance and told my friend (the one that set us up) that really I didn't like Ryan's best friend as much as I liked the other guy, Ryan. Ryan took a chance with his job. He was rising fast in a huge company with many praises. Ryan took a chance and stepped down from that company so that we could be closer to our home (and family) in SC. Together, Ryan and I took a chance creating our family, we knew what we wanted but there were no guarantees. So, my point is, we all take chances. And you never know until you take that "chance" what the outcome will be. Decisions, choices, those "chances". Together, our family will take a chance next year. We are going to homeschool. Everyone on the street has a different reaction to this. The first question that I am asked is always "What made you decide to homeschool? Are you not happy with your school?" And my response is always the same.....we are choosing to homeschool because I, personally, would like to see what I can do with the boys, what I can teach them. Homeschooling has always been on my mind. A brother-in-law of ours once said to me that one of the reasons he is so successful at what he does is because he has taken chances in his career, he felt like he would never know his capabilities unless and until he gave different opportunities a try. That is my thought on homeschooling - I, we, will never know what homeschooling is like without trying. So, we are going to give it a go....the boys know the deal, commit to a year and then re-evaluate. As for liking their school? I love, love, love their school. I love their teachers even more. We have had such a great experience in the public school system. Honestly, I am going to miss their school. And, as long as I am being honest, the closer the END of school gets (we only have 2 1/2 weeks left), the more sad I become. I hate (for lack of a better word) goodbyes. I hate that the boys will not be seeing their friends everyday next year. I hate that the boys will miss out on events at school. I am sad for them. But, we are taking a chance. A chance that we will all learn from no matter what the outcome. We will meet new friends and keep the old (old Girl Scout song), we will be a part of new events with new groups, we will learn what homeschooling is like. And if it works, great. If not, we can say we tried. We are taking a chance, learning from an experience.

No comments: