Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Air Passage"

I am writing this particular post so that I won't forget the conversation that I had with Colin last night. Colin is 8. He has never been one to fall down and get right back up....especially when there is blood involved. He can be somewhat dramatic (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree). Last week Colin fell not so gracefully off of his bike at a friend's house....several bandaids later, he decided that he could walk well enough to get home. During the week, the wounds have done their best to heal forming pretty scabs over his knee and elbow. Last night at Pryce's baseball game, Colin fell not so gracefully again, this time taking the pretty little scabs off and leaving two fresh wounds on his body once again. Now, I was not there when this occured....I was off having some "me" time playing Bunco with friends. During one of our transitions, someone said "a phone is ringing, whose is this?"....mine, of course. The caller had hung up but they had left me a message....it was Colin and the only word I could understand was "sorry" through all of his tears. Given our recent history of shaky phone calls (Ryan's wreck call) and the fact that Colin was crying hard in his message, I panicked and started dialing frantically to see what was going on....of course, no answers on either the cell phone or the home phone! Unbelievable! So, I begin to dial again....then the phone rings in the process and it is home calling me. I practically yell "hello" in the phone in my own panic.....then, I hear the pitiful sobs. It is Colin calling to tell me how horrible his summer is going. In between sobs he explains to me about his fall and how he is bleeding profusely and how he doesn't want anymore bandaids or any medicine and he doesn't want to take a bath because the water will sting.....then he says "the two worst things in my life happened today....one, my 'air passage' got blocked at the pool and two, I fell...." At this, I had to smile.....the whole "air passage" comment was just too much for me. Colin has such a serious, old mannish side to him....how many 8 year olds would state that their "air passage" was blocked?! He makes us laugh without even trying and that is one thing that we love most about him! So, I had to write this post for me....so that I will remember that serious little boy who was convinced the world was crashing one day when he reopened old wounds and got his "air passage" blocked at the pool.

***Note: Colin swallowed water too fast at the pool today while playing ball with some others. He came to me and told me he was choking....he was talking, breathing was happening and he went on to play after I assured him it was all good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Colin has an old soul in an 8 year old body... yes it is all good!

Kirstin