Sunday, June 16, 2013

When I was growing up, my daddy was always the apple in my eye, the one who could do no wrong, the one who was stronger than anyone else's dad, more handsome than any man I knew, the one who I  always wanted to make proud.  He was the dad who saved me from my fears of the Wicked Witch of the West while we watched the Wizard of Oz, he was the dad who taught me how to ride a bike and roller skate, he was the dad who would take me to McDonald's and hold the fries out of his window as we drove so they would cool off, the dad who would - when asked if he could take me somewhere - sing, "If you've got the money, honey, I've got the time,"  he was the dad who taught me how to drive, the dad who taught me how to Shag as best he could (I am a very poor dancer while he, on the other hand, is very good), he is the dad who taught me how to pull for the Gamecocks during good and bad (and didn't give up on me when I was lured into Clemson territory), he was the dad who gave me his sunglasses when the sun was just to bright for my eyes, he was the dad who rescued me from bad roommate decisions, the dad who held my hand as I was approaching surgery for my tonsils (until he felt weak when I stated that I was afraid I would not wake up:/), he was the first person I called when I was supposed to have surgery and decided against it - he stated the words that I will never forget, "Beth, your daughter is in China and you will get her soon," he was the dad I pleaded with to go to Columbia College and he said, "OK," the dad who sang his song for me that included the nickname he gave me growing up - Pooh-B.  He was, my dad, the one that will always be irreplaceable in my heart.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I love you and thank you for the life that you gave to me!  

No comments: